Ipe wood is a type of wood that is mainly found in South America. It is known for its strength, beauty, and its nature to age gracefully. As a tree, it is often grown in tourist areas or grown as an ornament in areas. It blooms flowers that are beautiful and capture the eyes of those who walk past. The bark of the tree and the lumber is used mainly for export. The tree holds a very high value in foreign markets, and many take this opportunity to export the wood. It is mainly used for creating furniture and decking. It has extremely high insect resistance, which is a positive attribute since most outdoor furniture is made with this.
What are the features of ipe wood?
- It is an extremely strong type of wood and used to make furniture.
- It is also smooth and does not produce hard splinters, which could harm you. It has a glossy finish which is exactly what is looked for when building furniture.
- The wood is also extremely long-lasting and is not prone to wear and tear, which is a problem most people face. So, the overall life of the wood is high.
- The wood is scratch resistant which is a great advantage since this means no repairs and the furniture would be durable and long lasting.
- It also ages gracefully. This is a great problem if you are looking for wooden furniture since the wood could easily age and not benefit the furniture. However, ipe wood takes a while to age, which sets you with the furniture for a good number of years.
- It is also insect resistant. Insects usually destroy the wooden furniture which will reduce the life of the furniture. However, since ipe wood is insect resistant, you will not have to deal with this problem.
- The wood is also fire resistant. This means that if you want furniture that is safe to use and does not accidentally catch fire, this is the right match for you.
The cost of ipe wood:
Having this many advantages and unique features is not without a price. Ipe wood is quite expensive to get, with it being sold for $23 to $30 per square foot. However, it is completely worth the price since you will not have to replace the furniture constantly and will be sparing that cost. The maintenance is also quite low, which means your only expenditure will be on purchasing the wood. If properly preserved, it can last for 50 to 75 years, which is a great deal of time. However, even if you do not treat it, it will last for 25 years.