You grow and your needs grow with you!
If you are a homeowner, you will realize that your energy consumption has increased phenomenally. In the olden days, homeowners used gas appliances for daily chores. Today, electrical appliances are quite common. And, it has increased the energy consumption of every household.
It has become necessary to opt for an electrical service upgrade because it ensures safe and uninterrupted energy consumption. It is important to remember that the process is not a DIY job because it is not limited to applying with your local utility for increasing the service. It involves ascertaining the electrical requirement of your home, obtaining permit from the local authorities, installing a new grounding system, etc. If you decide on the upgrade, you will have to consider changing the main panel of your home so that it can take the load of additional power supply.
Should I opt for an Electrical Service Upgrade?
Increase in number of electrical appliances is not the only reason for saying yes to an electrical service upgrade. There are several other reasons for making the decision. Consider the following things to make a wise decision:
· Are you considering a home addition project in the near future?
· Are you thinking of using the basement as a rental unit?
· Are you replacing a heat pump or buying a big refrigerator?
· Do fuses blow frequently in your home?
· Do lights flicker?
· Do circuit breakers trip constantly?
· Do you need a GFCI installed in one of the rooms?
· Is your insurance provider asking you to consider the upgrade?
Remember that taking care of the electrical system of your home is not a luxury. If you do not maintain it, it can cause fire and loss of life. Do not hesitate in calling a licensed electrician. He will calculate the electrical requirement of your home and help you with the process.
How to ascertain the Electrical Requirement of your Home?
If you are using an old property, you may have 60 amps or 100 amps service. Usually, a modern home requires at least 200 amps service. But, it is better to contact an electrician for calculating the accurate electrical requirement of your home. He will consider the following things before making a decision:
· Total square meter area of the property
· Heating loads
· Air-conditioning loads
· Use of water heaters
· Electric vehicle charging equipment loads
· Additional loads
· Minimum service size
· Regulation policy of the local authorities
· Policy of the insurance provider
Once he considers each and every aspect of your home, he will be able to give you a clear idea of the electrical requirement of your home. It is also called demand calculation. Your local utility or inspection agency will require a copy of the demand calculation. So, make sure that the electrician provides you with adequate copies of the document.
Preparation is the Key
Electricity has become one of the basic necessities for sustaining a comfortable life. And, when you opt for an electrical service upgrade, you will be able to enjoy the benefits of uninterrupted energy consumption. But, remember that thorough preparation is necessary for success. Here’s how you can prepare your home for the process:
· Obtain permission from the local authorities as well as your community.
· You will be unable to obtain power supply for at least four hours. So, make sure that you charge all the electrical appliances such mobiles, laptops, etc. beforehand.
· Empty the refrigerator and freezer.
· Intermittent power supply can harm your electrical appliances. So, do not forget to unplug them.
· Keep the area near the main panel clean. Also, ensure that you provide the electrician with easy access to water meter and water tank.
· The electrician will require power supply to conduct his work. So, arrange for an extension cord with the help of your neighbor.
· Keep flashlights and candles handy.
Thorough preparation and expertise of a licensed electrician are the key points for a successful electrical service upgrade. So, plan the process properly and get ready to enjoy safe and uninterrupted energy consumption.